Cable installer suffers horror burns in site electrical flash

A cable installer suffered severe burns to his arms and face when an electrical flash blew him backwards during work on an apartment block.

Carl Lowery was working on new apartment blocks at The Crescent, Hulme Street, Salford when when the accident happened on 12 May 2020.

The then 37-year-old underwent multiple surgeries following the incident and required a skin graft from his thigh.

The accident happened almost three years after Lowery lost his son Bradley to a rare form of cancer. Along with his wife Gemma, he established the Bradley Lowery Foundation, which helps families that are fundraising to obtain medical equipment and treatment.

Lowery, now 41, had been working alongside a colleague at SRE Cabling and Jointing Limited, with the company sub-contracted by Aberla M&E Limited to carry out cabling and jointing works on the new apartments.

The pair were working on the building’s main switchboard, with nearby bus bars left live with electricity and covered by a guard panel.

But a gap in the guard panel led to a nut rolling behind and coming into contact with the live bus bars, causing an electrical flash which blew Lowery backwards and burnt his arms and face.

An HSE investigation into this incident found Aberla M&E Limited had incorrectly assumed the guard panel was sufficient separation of the workers from the live bus bars. The company failed to take into account a gap in the guard panel, which risked nuts, bolts, tools and even fingers coming into contact with the bus bars.

There was also a failure to issue a permit to work (PTW) on or near live components, which resulted in the main switchboard being left live. There was also a distinct lack of live works monitoring by the company, with the electrical site manager rarely visiting the work area.

Lowery said in his victim personal statement: “Even when Bradley was poorly I worked. I’ve not been able to work since the accident either, mentally or physically.

“My left hand is my dominant hand and after the accident I had no grip. I had to try and learn how to use my non-dominant hand.”

Aberla M&E Limited, of Bolton, Greater Manchester, pleaded guilty to safety breaches and was fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £20,000 in costs at Manchester Magistrates’ Court .

HSE inspector Lisa Bailey said: “This incident has had life-changing consequences for Carl and his family. It could have been avoided if the company had actively monitored and managed procedures, to identify risks and prevent incidents.

“Working with electricity is a high-risk activity and safety must be a priority. Proper planning to ensure that risks are eliminated at system design stage is essential.”

Generated by Feedzy